Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day Trip

Thursday morning, on a whim, we decided to head to Lubbock for the day to visit the science museum and do some shopping. I was really just needing to get a little break from Clovis and find some fun things to do. It's the windy season and I believe these past couple weeks have been the worst that I've seen since we have moved here. So, it was time to get a little change of scenery!
The Science Spectrum was absolutely awesome. I was super impressed with this place and am so mad that it has taken us this long to check it out. But, I guess it's just now getting to that time that Andy can really enjoy these kinds of outings. We will definitely be heading back to this place next time we travel that way. We were there for a little over two hours and praises to Abby for sticking it out in the stroller the whole time with no morning nap...gotta love that sweet girl! She sure is a trooper. She did get a little fussy and tired by the afternoon, but by the time we did Chick-fil-A, Target, and Sams, both kids were spent and we got home just in time for their bedtime. I believe day trips are much easier with extra hands, but I'm so glad we went, couldn't have asked for a better day!






They had this big play room for kids under 5. All kinds of neat stuff: puzzle tables, slides, a maze, news desk, stuff to ride around...you name it, it was in that room! There happened to be a ton of kids in this room that were on a field trip with their school. All the teachers were pretty much sitting against the walls chatting and watching the kids play. Andy kept inching towards this area that had a long ramp that you could ride a car on it and I could tell he really wanted to try it. So, I went up to him and said you need to ask the boy if you could please take a turn. He was acting shy so I said that I would go with him. We both approached the boy and Andy asked to take a turn and I could tell that the boy wasn't going to jump up and say,"sure thing, I'd be happy to share with you." So, then I figured I'd ask they boy if he'd share a turn. Well, as soon as that kid hopped off, out of nowhere there was another kid hoping on it. I said to Andy, "you just need to be patient and I promise you will get a turn. Well, that happened to him several times with kids hoping off and on so fast and I just kept saying, " you just need to be patient, some kids aren't very good with sharing, but I promise you'll get a turn." Over to my side there was a teacher and she was quite the opposite of small (just had to throw that in, not nice, but I don't care) I looked over at her, knowing that she had seen all of this, thinking that she might call out one of the kids and say that they needed to take turns. NOPE...she looked at me and said, "you're going to have to teach him to be more aggressive if you want him to actually get a turn." WHAT??? I was floored at her comment. THIS is what you are teaching our kids. No wonder my kid isn't getting a turn, you're encouraging this bad behavior. So, I responded back, "ummm no, I want my kid to learn how to share and take turns." She didn't say anything back to me, she just got her big butt up and walked over to the other teachers...probably to talk smack about me, but I don't care.
She's the one in the peach shirt...totally going to nominate her for Teacher of the Year!

Untitled from Jamie Swierzbin on Vimeo.

Andy patiently waiting...


Umm, I think you have a little somethin' in your teeth...oh that's just Andy.
Crayola exhibit...everything was made with crayons. They had tons of amazing displays.

Worn out!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the BEST mom! I love you!

Nona Kathy said...

Nanna is right... you are the best! Andy's shirt says it all! What a great time!